Alaska Patent & Trademark Resource Center
A service of the Keith B. Mather Library
Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks
Alaska's Patent and Trademark Resource Center (APTRC):
The Keith B. Mather Library, Geophysical Institute, was designated as an official Patent and Trademark Depository Library in April 2010 by the U. S. Department of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office. In October 2011, federal changes led to a new name, the Alaska Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
The Mather Library receives and houses copies of U.S. patents and trademark materials, makes them readily available to the public, and actively disseminates patent and trademark information.
The library can provide limited information about Patent and Trademark Office forms and fees, but can not give legal advice. The United States Patent and Trademark Office recommends that inventors contact a patent or trademark attorney for legal advice before submitting a patent or trademark application. A list of registered patent or trademark attorneys and agents in Alaska and other states is available from the Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
- Reference assistance in locating answers to patent and trademark questions
- Training and assistance in searching basic patent and trademark information
- Access to files of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Online access to state trademark registration.
- Online access to European Patent Office for foreign patents and reliable sources for obtaining them.
- Patent searching classes - approximately 2 hours. Call the library for the next available class 907-474-2636.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Google Patents
- American Patent & Trademark Law Center
- For Trademark Considerations
Free at the Mather Library:
- Basic Facts about Trademarks
- General Information Concerning Patents
- Guide for the Preparation of Patent Drawings
- Guide to Filing a Design Patent Application
- Guide to Filing a Utility Patent Application
Additional patent resource books are being added. Watch the news section.
Requests for Services:
Specialized patent reference services are available Tuesday and Thursday or by appointment.
Requests for information may be made by telephone, fax, e-mail, or in person. It is advisable to call for an appointment before coming to the library for patent or trademark search.
E-mail: patents [at] gi [dot] alaska [dot] edu
Self-service copying of patents is available at a charge of $.15 per page.
The Patent and Trademark Resource Center collection is located in the Keith B. Mather Library of the Geophysical Institute in the Akasofu Building, Room 202.