Larsen is a Research Associate Professor with the Geophysical Institute. Jessica's graduate (UCSC) and post-graduate (CalTech and UAF) work has focused on experimental mineral physics applied to understanding water storage in the mantle, the fate of subducting oceanic crust and lithosphere, formation of the Earth’s atmosphere through shock loading experiments on mixtures of iron and serpentine. Since arriving at UAF in 1997, Jessica’s work has focused on applying igneous petrology to understanding active volcanism, through field-based and laboratory studies of Aleutian arc and other magmatic systems. Jessica oversees the UAF Experimental Petrology Lab, and works with the Alaska Volcano Observatory to map and constrain eruptive histories of active Aleutian arc volcanoes.
- Experimental Petrology Studies
- Petrology of Natural Volcanic Samples
- Field-based Mapping, Stratigraphy, and Hazard Assessment Studies (with the Alaska Volcano Observatory)
- M. Zimmer, T. Plank, E. Hauri, G. Yogodzinsky, P. Stelling, J. Larsen, B. Singer, B. Jicha, C. Mandeville, and C. Nye, The role of water in generating the calc-alkaline trend: New volatile data for Aleutian magmas and a new tholeiitic index, Journal of Petrology, 51, 2411-2444, 2010.
- T. Shea, L. Gurioli, J.F. Larsen, B.F. Houghton, J.E. Hammer, K.V. Cashman, Linking experimental and natural vesicle textures in the Vesuvius 79AD white pumice, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 192, 69-84, 2010
- L.J. Wong, J.F. Larsen, The Middle Scoria sequence: A Holocene Subplinian and phreatomagmatic eruption of Okmok volcano, Alaska. Bulletin of Volcanology, 72, 17-31, DOI: 10.1007/s00445-009-0301-y, 2010.
- J.F., Larsen, C.J. Nye, M.L. Coombs, M. Tilman, P. Izbekov, and C. Cameron, Petrology and geochemistry of the 2006 eruption of Augustine Volcano, chapter 15 of Power, J.A., Coombs, M.L., and Freymueller, J.T., eds., The 2006 eruption of Augustine Volcano, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1769, p. 335-382 and spreadsheets, 2010.
- J.F. Larsen, C.A. Neal, P. Webley, J. Freymueller, M. Haney, S. McNutt, D. Schneider, S. Prejean, and J. Schaefer, Eruption of Alaska volcano breaks historic pattern. EOS Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 90, 173-174, 2009.
- T. Shea, J.F. Larsen, L. Gurioli, J.E. Hammer, B.F. Houghton, and R. Cioni, Leucite crystals: Surviving witness of magmatic processes preceding the 79AD eruption at Vesuvius, Italy. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 281, 88-98, 2009.
- J. Mongrain and J. F. Larsen, Spatial point pattern analysis applied to bubble nucleation in silicate melts. Computers and Geosciences, doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2009.01.008, 2009.
- B. Finney, S. Turner, C. Hawkesworth, R. George, J. Larsen, C. Nye, and J. Eichelberger, Magmatic differentiation at an island-arc caldera: Okmok volcano, Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Journal of Petrology, 49, 857-884, 2008.
- J.F. Larsen, Heterogeneous bubble nucleation and disequilibrium H2O exsolution in Vesuvius K-phonolite melts. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 175, 278-288, 2008.
- J. Mongrain, J.F. Larsen, and P.L. King, Rapid H2O exsolution, degassing and bubble collapse observed experimentally in K-phonolite melts. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 173, 178-184, 2008.
- L.D. Almberg, J.F. Larsen, J.C. Eichelberger, T. Vogel, and L. Patino, Comparison of eruptive and intrusive samples from Unzen Volcano, Japan: Effects of contrasting pressure-temperature-time paths, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 175, 60-70, 2008.
- J.F. Larsen, C.A. Neal, J.R. Schaefer, J.E. Begét, and C.J. Nye, Late Pleistocene and Holocene caldera-forming eruptions of Okmok Caldera, Aleutian Islands, Alaska, AGU Geophysical Monograph, Volcanism and Subduction: The Kamchatka Region, 343-364, 2007.
- J.F. Larsen, Volcanoes in a changing global climate, Geotimes 52, no. 5, May 2007.