Preparing for Arrival
- Please provide GI Visa Services with a copy of your flight itinerary prior to your departure for the United States at UAF-GI-Visa@alaska.edu.
- Upon your arrival in Fairbanks you are asked to check in as soon as possible with the Geophysical Institute Human Resources Office, Room 614B, Elvey Building, and the UAF Office of International Programs and Initiatives, Room 215 Eielson Building. Please be sure to bring your visa documents so that we can collect the necessary copies.
- An orientation with the UAF Office of International Programs and Initiatives is mandatory for all foreign visitors. Orientations are scheduled on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and last approximately two to three hours. The OIPI office is located in 215 Eielson Building.
Travel Outside the U.S.
Prior to Departure
When preparing for travel outside the United States while on a U.S. visa you will need to collect a "Travel Packet." If you are a Geophysical Institute employee here on a U.S. visa, this packet will include the following items:
- Your original DS2019 (signed by OIPI) or I-797 depending on the type of visa you hold. (These items would need to be collected from the UAF Office of International Programs)
- An employment verification letter.
- A copy of your contract letter.
A copy of your flight itinerary needs to be provided to GI Visa Services for any international travel during your stay in Fairbanks. To request documents for travel please complete the International Travel Notification Form. A copy of your flight itinerary can be conveniently submitted through the form at the hyperlink provided.
Upon Return from Travel
Once you have completed your travel and returned to Fairbanks, GI Visa Services will need copies of the following items:
- All passport stamps collected during travel.
- Your digital I-94 card.
Preparing for Departure
- Please ensure that you have provided GI Visa Services with a copy of your flight itinerary prior to your departure from Fairbanks.
- If you are leaving prior to your visa's expiration date please provide GI Visa Services with a memo stating the reason for your premature departure.